Sven Krasser’s Blog

Musings on technology, security, and sundries.

Animation on the Homebrew 6502 Computer

In this second part on outputting a VGA signal from my homebrew 6502 breadboard computer, we’ll take a look at getting some motion onto the screen. If you missed the first part, you can catch up on the progress so far here.

Graphics for the Homebrew 6502 Computer

After an 18-month hiatus, I continued work on my homebrew 6502 computer by adding VGA output so that programs can now generate some interesting graphics instead of just turning LEDs on and off.

Security Voices

In February, before the current Coronavirus outbreak hit the U.S. in earnest, I met up with Dave Cole in Marina del Rey to join as guest on an episode of the Security Voices podcast, hosted by Dave and his partner in crime Jack Daniel.

USB Mini Media Keyboard

For my latest electronics project, I’ve built a small USB keyboard input device for media control. The final version has three keys: play/pause, previous track, and next track. In addition, a rotary encoder allows adjusting the volume (or mutes sound when pressed). This is also my first project involving a custom circuit board — my previous electronics projects mainly involved breadboards of varying sizes.

Homebrew Computer: Adding a 6522 VIA

In my last post, I wrote about my first steps towards a 6502-based homebrew 8-bit computer. Since then I’ve added a 6522 Versatile Interface Adapter (VIA). More specifically, it is a W65C22S. The VIA has a number of functionalities (after all, it makes a claim to being versatile).

Simple Homebrew 6502 Computer

After completing my VGA Generator project a while back, I’ve embarked on a new electronics project: building a simple 6502-based homebrew 8-bit computer on a breadboard. There are a bunch of similar projects online from which to draw ideas. Some projects set constraints such as only using contemporary parts of the 8-bit era, no FPGAs, no microcontrollers etc. In my case, I opted instead to keep the constraints minimal and the project simple.

OA-9 Launch

This past Monday morning, the OA-9 mission launched from Wallops Island to deliver supplies to the ISS. I was lucky to be able to watch the launch from the launch facility’s viewing area alongside the JPL RainCube team whose spacecraft was onboard the rocket.

Black Hat 2017, Machine Learning, Electricity

This year, Black Hat celebrated its 20th anniversary. The keynote moved to a packed Mandalay Bay Arena with some noteworthy production values. On the content side, the conference featured again various Machine Learning (ML) themed talks. Most noteworthy, the Revoke-Obfuscation talk discussed utilizing ML as tool to detect Powershell obfuscations without buzzword abuse (read the abstract).

Goodbye, Mac

Over the past year, I came across quite a few blog posts of people that moved back to Windows from Mac. Evidently, it’s time for my own. If that sort of anecdote doesn’t interest you, look at some other posts around here. Otherwise, here we go…